Wickedfood Earth is a community upliftment, self-sustainable lifestyle project being developed on a 38 hectare site in the Hartbeesfontein Conservancy, located within the Magalies Meander Tourism area. We are developing a self-sustaining lifestyle showcase subscribing to the ethos of “Responsible use of sustainable resources“.
In recognition of the groundbreaking work that is being done on Wickedfood Earth Farm, Slow Food Johannesburg honoured Cilla and Mike with the 2015 Food Heroes Award for “development of rare breeds and education on sustainable food and farming.” more….
As a small-scale, local, ethical farmer we need public and business support to continue our on-going training and research work. By supporting us, you are supporting a vital segment of the agricultural industry, a segment that is always forgotten – passionate small-scale farmers and artisanal producers. We receive no government support, incentives, or drought relief. We rely solely on your generous support to continue following our passion of producing food following the Slow Food ethos of good, clean and fair.
Wickedfood Earth has 3 arms:
- A working farm - Our vegetable gardens are planted with a wide variety of naturally grown produce, we have an extensive fruit and berry orchard, and a wide variety of animals including pigs, indigenous sheep and cattle – more….
Our animals are naturally veld-raised in small groups in large camps, which ensures that we are able to produce happy, healthy, flavorful meat. All of our animals are raised free of antibiotics, growth promotants or animal bi-products. This insures a healthy, consistent product year round. – more…
- A Country Cooking School, the commercial arm, offering cooking classes for both individuals and corporate groups, which ensure that the project is sustainable – more ….
- A community upliftment training project, where we are giving back to local communities in the form of skills training, from permaculture farming practises, through to cooking and processing. All products produced on the farm, and during training, are available for sale to clients at the Country Cooking School and Wickedfood Earth online market - more ….
At Wickedfood Earth we grow and process local, and farm naturally, following the principles of Geonat Farming which is:
- Farming that is geographically specific both as to where produce is sourced from as well as where it is distributed to. The supermarket shelves contain numerous organically labelled products, where the produces have gone to great lengths to ensure that every component within the product is certified organic, a noble concept, but a jam processed in the Western Cape with organically certified sugar transported all the way from South America, and then transported to a warehouse in Gauteng, before being distributed to Durban? Somewhere along the line something does not make sense.
- Farming in a natural environment, where the forces of nature act in harmony to produce food, away from harmful pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, growth hormones, feedlots and animal cruelty.
Wickedfood Earth is about seasonality and local, and this is where many proponents in the organic infrastructure get it wrong.
Wickedfood Earth does not stop at farming. The entire project subscribes to the principles of sustainability, from alternative building methods using eco-friendly principles, to alternative power and minimal usage of water resources, reciting wherever possible.
The entire project is being documented. We invite serious players within the different segments of sustainability and eco-friendly lifestyle supply chain as well as the general public to participate in this exciting project.
To read our newsletter, click here ….