This month, with great excitement, we launched some of our products at Jackson’s Real Food Market in Riverside shopping centre, Bryanston. If you have not been there, it is a real treat, what an old-fashioned wholefood food store used to be like, amazingly visual and full of real food.
We also launched a variety of cured meats and sausages at the very first Slow Meat function, where we exhibited with a handful of artisan producers, while 10 of Gauteng’s top chefs cooked up a feast from different cuts of free-range beef.
On Saturday, 6 June, we will start the first of our monthly pop-up Delis, the first one being at Wickedfood cooking school, in Sunninghill. Our clients will not only have the opportunity to pre-order and collect a wide variety of our delicious fresh meat and cured meats, preserves and dips, but we will also be on hand to do tastings and slice. See details below.
Diary of the farm
Winter means hunting season. For the last four years 50% of the farm has been given up to a small herd of blesbuck. Although they were doing well, they were not breeding and we decided to cull them and rather use the grazing to expand our herd of indigenous Pedi sheep. This means we are in the process of turning the venison into a variety of delicious products – see below. On the farm:
- We are starting to harvest sweet potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes.
- It’s lambing season. All of our ewes of pregnant and to date we have 7 new lambs. We also have 5 young rams in their prime and perfect for slaughter, after a good season on the veld;
- We have been hard at work developing a number of exciting new cured meat products, including five venison products, a fresh salami and stuffed pork belly roll.
- Saturday 23 May from 10:30 to 11:30 – Online market collection at Wickedfood Cooking School in Sunninghill - See product selection below.
- Sunday 31 May from 11am – this year we will once again be participating in the Cellar Rats Port and Wine Festival in Magaliesburg, we will be selling our famous pulled pork sandwiches, as well as one of our new lines, our German-style salami rolls.
- Saturday 6 June from 10:30 to 12:30 – Pop-up deli at Wickedfood Cooking School in Sunninghill. We are trying something new, to bring a selection of our fresh and cured meat in to Sunninghill, for you to taste and buy.
- Tuesday 16 June (public holiday) at 12:00 – Winter Cured Meat Feast. This will include insightful talk and tasting of the variety of cured meats and sausages we produce, followed by a three-course gourmet tasting menu, plus a hearty dessert. (Booking essential, limited space, R395pp).
And remember too, that we are able to organise an exclusive bespoke event for your special occasions.
Sale of produce
For the convenience of our Johannesburg clients, this week we will be doing a drop-off for any orders, to Wickedfood Cooking School in Sunninghill. And for our regular country clients, place an order and you’re welcome to collect from Wickedfood Earth farm at any time convenient to you. - Click here to receive an order form.
Products available include:
Fresh Pork Cuts
- Pork chops (2 and 4 per pack) and smoked Kassler ribs;
- De-boned legs (±3kg) – perfect for the braai, feeds 6-10;
- Baby pork leg roasts (±1,8kg) – perfect as a Sunday roast for 4- 6;
- Pork bellies – 1,5kg to 2kg;
- Pork sausage (500g packets) – Italian style, quince and chourizo (fresh and hot-smoked);
- Cured coppa, loin and pancetta (100g packs);
- Salami, German style;
- Bacon (200g);
- Lard – ±250g tubs
- Pancetta wrapped loin;
- Carpaccio sliced and vacuumed in 50g packs;
- Biltong, boerewors and droewors.
A large variety of the farm’s summer fruit and vegetables naturally bottled at the height of their ripeness.
For more information contact Cilla on 076 236-2345 or email@example.com